Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Musee d'Orsay

I just arrived home from a week in Paris! If you were wondering it is just as amazing as Anastasia makes it seem. I'm in a drawing class and i have to sketch for at least 6 hours each week and im learning to fall in love with art. I seem to become easily overwhelmed when I am walking through museums and it is so difficult to grasp your mind around everything that you are seeing, but somehow when you are sketching you can limit down your attention to such minute aspects of the art, that you can become more apart of it and create a relationship with each piece that you choose to sketch. I got to go to all the major sites but my very favorite was the Orsay. All of Degas' pastels were so moving i practically lived in the museum. But my favorite piece was definitely this wooden sculpture by Georges Lacombe. To me this is safety and peace and love all wrapped up in a moment. The artist actually did a series of these two figures and ends it with her covering him when he dies. Ohh! i just love love love it.

5 comments:

catherine said...

Oh, I wish I could see the series. I am wild about your photos and keep them coming. And the naked wooden couple is soooo bohemian. (just kidding)

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait to hear more details about your art discoveries AND to see some of your sketches.

angie said...

yes, put up the sketch (if you have access to a scanner)

paris - sigh. is D'Orsay in paris proper?

Abbie said...

sorry ang, i don't really know what that means...

Anonymous said...

Hey Abbie! It sounds like you enjoyed Paris just like I did when I went years ago! Reading you entry makes me want to go back!